Daniel Abt has had his pole position for the Mexico City ePrix taken away, giving Oliver Turvey an unexpected birthday present as he inherits the front slot on the grid.
Earlier Abt had surged to the fastest time in qualifying to take his first Formula E pole position since Long Beach in season one, but the stewards have now declared that the German was running tyre pressures under the minimum 1.60 bar and will now line up 18th on the grid.
The ruling means that Turvey will now start from pole position with Jose Maria Lopez also on the front row.
Faraday Future Dragon Racing’s Jerome d’Ambrosio was also caught out for the same reason and has been demoted to 19th place, with team-mate Loic Duval in last following a crash in qualifying.
With other penalties applied, such as Maro Engel’s ten place drop for a gearbox change, the grid is as follows:
1. Oliver Turvey, NextEV NIO
2. Jose Maria Lopez, DS Virgin Racing
3. Jean-Eric Vergne, TECHEETAH
4. Nick Heidfeld, Mahindra
5. Sam Bird, DS Virgin Racing
6. Antonio Felix da Costa, Andretti
7. Sebastien Buemi, Renault e.dams
8. Felix Rosenqvist, Mahindra
9. Esteban Gutierrez, TECHEETAH
10. Adam Carroll, Panasonic Jaguar Racing
11. Mitch Evans, Panasonic Jaguar Racing
12. Maro Engel, Venturi
13. Nico Prost, Renault e.dams
14. Robin Frijns, Andretti
15. Lucas di Grassi, Abt Schaeffler Audi Sport
16. Nelson Piquet, NextEV NIO
17. Stephane Sarrazin, Venturi
18. Daniel Abt, Abt Scaheffler Audi Sport
19. Jerome D’Ambrosio, Faraday Future Dragon Racing
20. Loic Duval, Faraday Future Dragon Racing